Look Good Feel Better is a free, non-medical, brand-neutral program dedicated to helping you look as good as possible during chemotherapy, radiation, and other cancer treatments. While most changes in your appearance are temporary, we believe it is important to provide you with tips and techniques that will help you look and feel better.
Putting yourself in control of looking good is one of the simplest ways to boost your self-esteem and confidence while going through treatment.
Remember, you are at increased risk of infection during cancer treatment, so it is important that you keep your cosmetics free from bacteria. Here are some ways to clean and care for your cosmetics:
- Make sure your hands are clean before applying any products.
- Tightly close all jars, tubes, and other make-up containers.
- Apply lotions and creams with clean cotton balls, sponges, or cotton swabs rather than dipping your fingers into the jars!
- Always check the expiry date on your products and replace them as required. Tip: look out for an illustration of a jar with a number inside it on jars, tubes or compacts – this indicates the number of months the product can be used for after opening.
- Use clean brushes or disposable applicators to apply powders.
- Do not share your cosmetics or applicators with anyone.
- Always test new make-up products on the back of your hand or wrist first, not your face.
We’ve put together a quick guide to help you take control over the appearance-related side-effects of treatment: